Buffet 101: Where food and drinks are really unli!

Nerly and Ethel, my college buddies from UP, and I met up recently at the Buffet101 in MOA. Though a bit inconvenient for Ethel and me who had to brave and suffer the Friday afternoon jam on the MRT and LRT, MOA was convenient for Nerly who had to travel from Cavite and rush to the airport after our meet-up, to head back for France where she's settled now. 

Despite the perceived hassle of the trip, I actually looked forward to the meet-up for two reasons: (1) the three of us hadn't been together for more than two decades; and (2) I had been hearing and reading good things about Buffet101 (including on TV's Ang Pinaka). Plus, as it turned out, it was Nerly's treat. That had to be the BEST reason, haha!

Buffet101 MOA is located along Seaside Boulevard at the back of SMX. It's next to that swinging boat ride that resembles Enchanted Kingdom's Anchors Away, and beyond the MOA Eye if you're coming from the music hall/IMAX area.


We hadn't made prior reservations, so being the one to arrive there first, I took the liberty of reserving a table for us. Then for future reference, I took this pic of the resto's rates, posted at the entrance.



still empty!
The waiting time allowed me the chance to freshen up, especially after that grueling LRT trip from Central Station to EDSA, where I was practically squished against the door the entire time. So I headed to the restroom, passing the still-empty places where the service crew were busy setting the tables, both dining and buffet. The evening buffet, by the way, starts at 5:30pm.

Finally, Ethel arrived and whiled away her time taking pictures of the scene behind the resto. Nerly herself arrived soon after, and after waiting patiently for her name to be called, we were led to our table that was just beside the buffet area. Yipee!

So off we went to get what we wanted, eating while we traded stories in between courses to catch up on each other's lives. By this time, the place was filling up with a good-sized crowd.

After scanning the buffet counters, this was what I decided to eat. My first course was the Japanese cuisine, where I feasted on different kinds of maki, some fresh sashimi, and of course, healthful miso soup. 

For my second course, I took two slices of US ribs (i'm more into beef than pork, except for sisig), some mushrooms, and seafood chowder. As I was scouting the next counter, the crew was replenishing the baked oysters. I picked up three, then went to get a mango shake to wash everything down.


The ribs were okay, not really exceptional. As for the oysters, I wondered aloud (as a joke) if there was no red tide, or if the oysters weren't from Cavite which was affected by a recent oil spill. Ha! Who cares? I ate them all, anyway. ;-)

I wasn't quite sure I could eat more...  I noticed, though, that in spite of the no leftovers policy, you can easily set aside plates with unfinished and unwanted food to the side of the table where the crew can promptly pick them up. Believe me, they're quick to retrieve those plates and glasses. I guess with that kind of crowd, you'd really need to restock those clean plates FAST. They just leave the utensils behind.

Then I decided to indulge my sweet tooth and headed over to the dessert station. Here's a collage of pics from that area:


I tell you, there were too many sweets to choose from, I think I became diabetic just looking at them!

I got creme brulee, brazo de mercedes, chocolate mousse, cream puff, and another thing with a cherry on top. I didn't even touch the pannacottas, the choco fondue section or ice cream! :-)

Well, the mousse looked like a small pot of soil with leaves growing out of it... I agreed with Ethel that we didn't like it that much. The cream puff was not puffy at all; it tasted like pudding to me. (Tinapayan's cream puff is sooo much better!) I made short work of the creme brulee, the brazo, and that cherry-topped thing, and with great self-control, stopped myself from getting second helpings from the overstocked dessert station. Really.

While Ethel and Nerly talked, I stood up to take some pics of the sections. Here's a hodgepodge of some of the areas. I couldn't take a pic of the other sections, there were too many people preventing me from taking decent enough shots.

main meal areas - i didn't get a taste of that sisig pizza, dang!

seafood and japanese sections

I decided to get a slice of sweet melon, plucked some cherries off the mixed fruit, helped myself to another mango shake, and headed back to our table.

After eating, I had a funny feeling in my tummy. Really, it felt so full and HARD to the touch! I think that's the first time I've felt that way in recent memory. Not the kind where you would want to run to the toilet, but the one where you feel so full and afraid to move. Nothing that a good burp and a walk couldn't cure, though. Or maybe I should have taken some tea instead. 

Then, all too soon it seemed, Nerly, Ethel and I said our goodbyes before we parted ways for God-knows-how-many-years-before-we-see-each-other-again.

In truth, even though I like going on food trips, I usually don't like eat-all-you-can buffets because I think lugi ako especially with the no leftover policy. I mean, for the same price, I could dine a la carte and take home any leftover. I think eat-all-you-cans is best if you have someone really matakaw with you. :-)

What I like about Buffet101 is you get to pay for unlimited food and drinks. Even if I don't frequent eat-all-you-cans that much (especially on my own), I know that a lot of them offer only one round of drinks, and with a very limited choice (usually iced tea or softdrinks), if any. Here, you can choose from soda, fruit shakes, coffee, even wine and beer.

The ambience is also worth it. It feels like you're dining in a posh hotel, what with the lighting from those chandeliers and the interior decor. But unlike in a hotel resto, you can hear some of the crew singing "Happy Birthday" to some lucky - or unlucky - patrons.

By the way, I found this sign on the table, too, about discounts offered for those who like frequenting these buffets:

I haven't been to Vikings or Yakimix (Buffet101's sister company, from what I gather), but I've heard good things about them. I hope to verify for myself soon, hopefully.

For now, Buffet101 has another branch at Robinsons Magnolia. Since that's just one LRT-2 ride away from our place, I think I'd prefer going there next time. I wonder when that would be? :-)

You can click their FB account here: Buffet101 on Facebook.

Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment