Of titles and positions


There was a time when, though officially "just" a member of the staff of our division, I was designated a section chief directly under our regional Director's office. When our regional office transferred location to somewhere outside the city, however, I requested to be reassigned to our head office back in the city. I had to take care of my mom, and we had no househelp. My husband and I were also undergoing a fertility work-up. With these reasons, our Director relented. In the head office, I was back to being "just" a member of the staff of one of the divisions.

Fast forward a decade later, when I was reassigned from the head office to a sub-regional office in the outskirts of the city. After a year, I was designated as the deputy head of office -- the second highest in command. It was a small office, but had a workforce of more than 50 individuals. After another year, the title changed to something fancier: "Deputy Director." Until now, I can barely wrap my head around that title and can barely believe that I occupied the position, ha ha. 

In my fourth year in the sub-regional office, however, I was recalled back to the head office. I am once again serving as part of our division's staff.

In both cases, co-employees asked me, why did I consent to being reassigned or recalled without retaining my designation as head? It was a demotion for me, so they said. But I said, how could it be a demotion? As a designated head of a section or office, I was only in-charge of a section but there was no promotion in terms of salary grade and pay. And, I knew from the start that, being designated, I was only serving at the pleasure of the appointing authority, and was aware that I could be replaced at any time.

This goes to show that some people are really concerned with titles, but I was not overly concerned about my own, actually and honestly. Which got me to thinking, why is that? Is it because I lack ambition to rise up the ladder? But I'm not, because I want to get actually promoted - in salary grade and pay, which I did not enjoy as being just a designated officer. 

For me, the title does not matter much. What matters most to me is that, wherever I am assigned, I want to be an asset. I want to be someone who contributes to the accomplishments of the office. I want to be someone who can make a positive impact on the lives and careers on the people I work with, and I do not need a title for that. 

No, I am not sourgraping. In fact, I will always be thankful that management in some offices have given me the opportunity to be in managerial positions and to try to make a difference. I was actually taken out of my comfort zone, and these allowed me to grow -- maybe not in height, and I have given up on that, but I have learned so much from those times. Those are not limited to the experience of additional tasks and responsibilities, but also made me understand how to better deal with people from different walks of life. I dare say that, even for just a bit, I am a better listener, more empathetic, and more patient in dealing with those who have different personalities and abilities, and these learnings and small personal improvements will help me in whatever position I will occupy in the future. In my most recent assignment, staff have always expressed their gratitude that they experienced a boss like me, whom they found to be "caring and patient" -- their words, not mine. Well, I WILL take their word for it 😉

So, I do not regret those times. I know that God had a reason to make me experience them, no matter how brief. I know that my time in the sun will come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment